Friday, July 15, 2011

Konichiwa Nerds


            One more.  I wanted to put out some final thoughts as soon as I returned, but I got caught up in home.  Reunions.  Driftless dawns.  Dinners where conversations gather steam around a kitchen table to fade behind the shadows of bar lamps. 
            Before I realized, it was time to travel again.  Nick, Emily and I loaded up the Honda Fit – no Phyllis, but a fine vehicle nonetheless. 
            We drove down to meet Joey, Seth and Ruthie in the Great Smokies.  We were crazy – tubing rivers, jumping off cliffs, slaying slobs, and newtin’. 
            We ended our days around the fire.  The last night, Joey asked us to describe the most beautiful place we had ever seen.  We each took a turn.  Nobody rushed, feeling a responsibility to justify our scene.  As each person spoke, I watched their faces and the fire. Soft slow words pulled me towards their place – reverent to a past I did not know.   
            I felt proud.  Somewhere along the line, something went right.  I chose good people.  Friends who think, share and support, unconditionally.  Individuals who walk you to their sanctuaries as the fire burns out. 
            Now I’m home.  The Smokies was one of many beautiful trips I’ve had the privilege of taking over the past six months.  I wanted to end my writing with a moral I could preach to the babies.  Something to sum up all the travels.  
            But that would be selfish.  You folks have as much to tell me, as I have to tell you.  You’ve met new people and felt new places.  I want to hear it all. 
            So, thank you for reading.  If you’re in La Crosse call me.  We’ll have a beer or three and listen to all we have missed. 

1 comment:

  1. the best one yet, petey. just one problem - a beer or THREE? i'll believe it when i see it. :)

    ReplyDelete