Monday, March 21, 2011

Trout, Beaches and Lovers

 
            Happy spring break.  While you folks were lounging in warmer pastures, consuming potato sacks full of Irish booze, and giving into the March Madness coma, I was hooking into my first Kiwi trout. 
            Last Saturday, I went fishing with my buddy Evan at a reservoir about a half hour from town.  We worked the water for a while with no success.  Finally, I threw my slob choker near a small stream that fed into the reservoir.  Before I knew it, I was wrestling a nasty guy out of his afternoon hole.  As I was bringing him out of the water, he threw the hook – unfortunately no pictures.  But by Mike Funk standards, it was a fish in the creel.  Evan and I agreed that he was about a three-pound rainbow – average by New Zealand standards but a slob in Wisconsin.  It was pure joy.
            I chased a morning of fishing with a night of camping on the beach.  I met up with a group of friends at Boulder Beach on the Otago Peninsula.  We spent the night huddled around a few bottles of wine, hoping a tsunami didn’t take us into the darkness. 
            Now the lovers (Tris and Jack) have arrived.  We are renting a car and heading up the coast for the weekend.  The promise of tropical north, along with orange and blond hair flying free from open windows is making school go down a little easier this week. 

            So, my flower babies.  Strip off your parkas and listen to the snow dripping.  Spring is just around the corner.

2 comments:

  1. Tris, Jack, and Pete New Zealand roadtrip! There'd better be pictures and stories, is all I'm sayin'. Congratulations on the slob, Peter. You're a record-holder now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Finally, I threw my slob choker near a small stream that fed into the reservoir."
    If I said that at a party I don't think people would talk to me any more. When you say it people think you're being all cool and out doorsy. Oh the inequalities. Great post Pete. Air high five.

    ReplyDelete