Monday, February 7, 2011

Sayonara Nerds


            I leave tomorrow my packer babies.  I got 33 hours of traveling, and I want to lay departing words on all the great Midwestern metropolises where my friends and family till soil.
Eau Claire Boys – Remember, no one said the road to liver cirrhosis would be easy.  But I believe in you.   Keep working hard.   You’ll get there one day.  When the ole’ Chippewa thaws, grab a bag of funyuns, the nearest life raft and think of me.  I’ll be floating with you soon enough.
Madison – You guys have educated me in the ways of hip shaking tunes and Thursday night drink specials.  Whether you are dancing under black lights or bar lamps, you’ll be out later than my wrinkled eyelids can handle.  But don’t be afraid to sit still on a Saturday night and listen to a fella play guitar.  You’ll feel better in the morning.  I’ll make my way back to your deceptive liquor bottles and potluck bars in a few short months. 
Minneapolis – Friends, I’ll dream in four-part harmony.  Every weekend I will picture you folks up top the lighthouse, elastic waistbands cradling your hips with instruments in hand.  Perhaps if Mick has his way, you’ll spend a few nights nursing cotton candy homebrews, while looking up Grupon specials.  But don’t be afraid to get a little crazy after dark.  Go to a tavern.  Maybe walk up to the Witch’s Hat Tower.  Who knows?  The world is yours for one last semester.  
            Family, I wish you the best of luck in all hypothetical skiing goals, hunters’ safety classes and hopes of Minneapolis doggie stardom.  Zula bug, I know you can read this. Uncie will miss you the most.  Keep Gus in line. 
La Crosse – Mom and Dad, thank you for everything.  You guys are the reason I am able to go to New Zealand.  I can’t express how much your love and generosity means to me. Again, Thank you. 
            So with the packers in their rightful place as world champions and the prospect of two more months of winter bearing down on the Midwest, it is time for me to say sayonara nerds.  I’ll return when the trout are rising in Vernon County.  I love you and will miss you all. 

3 comments:

  1. Peterrrrr

    :)

    We love you and will miss you. All the best to you and the great adventures you'll have.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samesies for me, Pete. Love you, miss you, excited to hear more beautiful words woven with your skillful pen.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon voyage, Pete! I'm gonna miss you buddy. You're gonna have such a great time though, so it's more of a bitter feeling of missing you (like damn, he's in New Zealand while i'm feezin' my arse off in EC.) But don't let that make your catholic guilt complex kick in - I had my semester abroad and now it's your time.

    I hear "Are my kiwis showing?" is one of the most successful pickup lines in New Zealand. Also playing the American card abroad helps too - "Hey, I don't do this that often, but do you want to come back to my place and split a big mac while discussing Barack Obama's policies?" But that's saying you'll have time for ladies, which you probably won't because you'll be too busy hand washing your earth toned REI/North Face gear and trying write a sequel to a river runs through it that takes place in New Zealand.

    Anyways, great start on the blog, you're writing has so much heart (AND humor) to it.

    Take care,

    JEFF

    ReplyDelete